Hello, it's been a week since I created this site. Last week, I posted about cooking. This time, I'd like to talk about how I became interested in plants.
When I was a child, my mother grew lots of crotons and flowering plants around our home, while my father and grandmother each tended their own vegetable gardens. I would help by watering the plants from our deep well, but I never imagined that gardening would one day become my own hobby.
That changed in 2003, when I brought my parents from my hometown to live with my family in Manila. Unlike Noah, who brought pairs of animals onto the ark, I packed boxes with plant cuttings and seedlings from home and brought them with us. I thought having some familiar plants around would make it easier for my then 79-year-old mother to adjust to city life.
To my surprise, my love for gardening blossomed. Just like my mother, I discovered that the cuttings and seedlings I planted seemed to grow easily and happily. And that’s how gardening became a hobby I never expected to have. đż❤️
I later learned that many of the crotons my mother grew were San Francisco plants (Codiaeum variegatum pictum), also known as Fire Croton, Garden Croton, Croton Petra, or Autumn Plant. These colorful evergreen shrubs are known for their striking, rainbow-colored leaves, which always reminded me of the garden I grew up with.
I didn’t have photos of my mother’s garden, so I created this collage from images I found online.
Looking at these colorful leaves brings back so many childhood memories and makes me miss our home and my mother’s garden. đżđđ
============
Linking to:
Those rainbow-colored leaves may look beautiful together, but for me, they are much more than just plants—they are pieces of my childhood. ❤️
Linking to:


Such a gorgeous colorful collage of leaves.
ReplyDelete