Skip to main content

Trekking Thirty


1989. 30 years today. Celebrating God’s faithfulness through all these years. My usual way of expressing thanksgiving is by writing down reflections of the Lord's goodness in our married life, as husband and wife and as a family.
For our anniversary last year, I blogged about our family travel in Seoul, South Korea. You may click here if you would like to read.

This year, I'm featuring the story behind these photos I grabbed from a page of our photo album. These are photos of Billy and me during a skit for our church anniversary program. We were not friends then, merely acquaintances, when these were taken. The truth is, it was my first ever close encounters with him in church, while practicing our part in the skit.

 (By the way, Joni was not the title of the play. An Evening with Joni was a concert featuring Joni Eareckson Tada, the famous quadriplegic who became an evangelical Christian author. We were so blessed to have attended her concert in the Philippines with our church mates two months before Billy and I got married. I kept the ticket as memento.)
These two photos show where it all began. 
The script I may have forgotten but the story has continued 'til this day.
Oooopppsss... wait, let me take a closer look at this photo. I seem to remember now. 
I was made to play the role of Phlegmatic and the script told me to slowly shout, "Sunog! Sunog! Ay, sunog?!" ("Fire! Fire! Oh, fire?!"), a line intended to make a wake-up call to our brethren in church. A call for love and unity in celebration of our church anniversary.

I don't really know if hubby would agree, but I believe the event portrayed in the photos above marks the meeting point in the zipper lane in our lives.

Did I arouse your curiosity? Wondering how we got to know each other? Where we met?

If you would allow me, let me transport you back in time. Let's do this quick! Click here.

So now that you know, would you like to know why I walked down the aisle limping on my wedding day? Click here to read but please be right back to view the best of Billy-Eve photos from last year's family travel.

As promised, here's a photographic account of our trek in Taipei in November 2018 that I am featuring in this year's anniversary post. Enjoy the trip with us!!! Let's go!

At the 228 Peace Park located near the National Taipei University

The 228 Peace Memorial Park is a historic site and municipal park located at Zhongzheng District. The park contains memorials to victims of the February 28, 1947 incident. 

Selfies at the Liberty Square

The Liberty Square Main Gate 
While the kids were having their own photo shoot somewhere else, we had to have our own Billy-and-Eve photo ops time. It was just quite difficult to get a good angle standing from the National Concert Hall with the sun shining bright. We had to take another shot from a different location but couldn't get away from tourists at the background. 



The Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall behind us.
Hubby is gradually becoming a master in taking selfies eh!?

Another shot with the National Theater at the background.
Inside the Longshan Temple was a beautiful man made waterfall backdrop. 
Of course, we had to join the queue and wait for our turn.

While strolling down some streets to Zhongshan Park, we had to stop to get a few shots here. 

Another stop along Songhzhi Road 
near the Taipei City Hall

Selfie at the Zhongshan Park in front of the Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall with the beautiful flower garden and Taipei 101 as background

The Sun Yat-Sen Memorial Hall
On our way to Beitou Park and Thermal Valley
Before boarding the gondola to Maokong.
Oh, yes, it was windy up there!

The face of one who didn’t get to taste the green tea ice cream
😂😭😩😂😭😩
Capturing the scenic view of nature from the 
National Palace Museum
Enjoying with amazement the picturesque view of the city and Taipei 101 (world's tallest and largest green building) was our reward after victoriously hiking up 
the 183-meter (600 feet) Elephant Mountain.

A pose at the iconic Queen's Head at Yehliu Geopark
after patiently waiting for our turn. 
Went window shopping along the jam packed historic streets of Jiufen

I requested that this photo of us be taken with the heart on the floor
which I intended to post for this very special occasion. 

While strolling along Zhongzheng Road at Danshuei District our way to Tamsui Wharf, we saw this mural in one of the art shops. Billy insisted that we have our photo taken here. Well, I admit he is right, it's perfect for this occasion--- our anniversary post!
Now, back to where we are---1989 + 30 years. 
No vision of fire.
No limping.
No fractured ankle.
Just engulfing the taste of God's surprises continuously unfolding each day, each year. 
Overcoming the humps and bumps of life, as they come. 
Accepting each other's weaknesses, deficiencies and true color. 
Rejoicing in every single blessing that God showers to our family. 
Listening to the same old story and laughing at the same old corny joke for a hundredth time! 
Discovering new things we never thought we are capable of doing 
because we know somebody believes in us when others do not. 
Savoring moments doing things together, 
because we have each other, and sooner or later, 
we know we will be back to a life with only the two of us will be together.


I close this post thanking and praising God for all our friends and loved ones
who rejoice with us in our journey.
We pray that God would continue to walk with us as we trek towards the higher plane. 
May He carry us when our legs and feet fail us.
May His wings bring us to the mountain top,
that we may see and behold the beauty of what He has in store for us. 

Happy 30th to us, Adam of my life!

❤️❤️❤️
💋💋💋

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.