Skip to main content

Crash Landing on Zurich after 6 Years




The birds of Lindenhof
I was made to revisit my photo files of Zurich after six years. I was actually planning to do so a few years back but just didn't get to do it.

These past weeks, however, I got infected with this very contagious K-drama craze that has invaded the social media. Trending on Twitter and I've seen Facebook friends posting about it but it didn't strike me point-blank until my daughter and hubby called me to sit down with them on one episode. Oh, #CLOY what is it on you? There you are, you got it right, Crash Landing on You!
See hubby's post in fb and twitter
Hubby kept telling me about the scenes shot in Zurich and asked me if I remember those places. Of course, how could I ever forget! Well, indeed, after seeing a few from that episode, my heart seemed to flutter and my mind instantly traveled back in time...

First, to Münsterbrücke... then to Grossmunster Church... and finally, to Lindenhof. So in this post, I’m featuring Lindenhof and some photos of Munstebrucke and Grossmunster taken 6 years ago.

Münsterbrücke is a pedestrian road bridge crossing the Limmat River from Munsterhof (at the West Bank) to Limmatquai (on the East Bank), named after the two famous churches, the Fraumunster and Grossmunster. Click here to read my post on the three churches near the Munsterbrucke.

Day 3 in Zurich
Wahaha! Hubby caught me at the Munsterbrucke with the Fraumunster at the background.

 The spire of St. Peter's Church with the biggest clock face in Europe
in this photo taken from the other side of Munsterbrucke
 Hubby took this pic of the Grossmunster and Munsterbrucke
and 
me
Also known as the Great Minster or the Great Church, Grossmunster is an Evangelical Protestant church in the Old Town of Zurich.

Day 6
While hubby attended a conference at Sorell Hotel Zurichberg, I walked along the length of Limmatquai, taking time to view the picturesque spots along River Limmat. This golden tree didn't escape my attention. Looking at my tour map, the place pointed to Lindenhof.  
See the trees on top at the back? That's the Lindenhof Square sitting on a hill!
There... I marked the exact place for you. 
Take note also of the brown house on the right. Will feature a close-up view of it towards the end. 
I crossed the Munsterbrucke to go to the other side of Limmat River, the West Bank. 
Locating the place was easy, following the directions from the map, I found the place after walking some blocks.
I just had to walk slowly as the steps went uphill.
Paused to take some photos along the road... 
of shops
The Roman tombstone
Well, I never realized I took a photo of this--- the Roman tombstone along Pfalzgasse 
on the way up the Lindenhof Hill!
This is a modern replica (the original being at the Landesmuseum)
of an ancient Roman gravestone, containing the first recorded Latin name of Zurich (Taricum).

Oh, here we are. This is it! I’ve reached my destination!
That's the place--- Lindenhof. On top of the hill.
Here... take a closer look.
I never thought Lindenhof is a meeting point for passionate chess players! One couldn't miss this upon arrival. I was amazed to witness people playing chess standing while moving the huge chess pieces from one point to another on a large chessboard lying on the ground!
See?

Here's a panoramic view of the Lindenhof Square. Not very well captured though.
I was so excited taking the shot, I didn't realize I wasn't able to get a full coverage of the trees. 
 Oh, well, I still hope that somehow I have given you a glimpse of the Lindenhof Square.
A haven of peace and tranquility, an oasis in the heart of the city of Zurich, 
that's what Lindenhof is known to be. 

It also gives a beautiful view of Zurich Old Town, the Limmat River and the Grossmunster Church. 
👇👇👇
View of Zurich Old Town on the East Bank of Limmat taken from Lindenhof Hill

The Grossmunster Church viewed from Lindenhof
(Ssssshhhh... I just grabbed this photo from hubby! 😀😀😀

Lindenhof is a place of historical events. Literature tells that a Roman fort stood in this place in the 4th century and in the 9th century, a regal palace used as residence was built by Charlemagne's grandson.

The LIndenhof (Hedwig) Fountain


Built in 1912, this fountain has a statue of a woman with a helmet that was built to honor the women of Zurich in commemoration of their defense of the old town against the army
of Duke Albert I of Germany during the siege of Zurich in 1292.


Do these benches below look familiar?
Which of these benches do you think are the ones on the photo below where Ri Jong-hyeok and Yoon Se-ri are seen crossing the Lindenhof Square? 
Filming Locations
They must have watched the birds fly and rest on the rooftop, too.
The Birds of Lindenhof
See how they fly across River Limmat and get back to this place.
Watch this!
👇👇👇

Amazed at the view from Lindenhof, I continued to explore the streets nearby.
Afterall, hubby encouraged me to be adventurous! 
That meant I was at liberty to go places in his absence. Yahoo! 
You must have seen this building in the photo posted earlier. 

Now, for my finale photo, here’s one taken by hubby with me at the fountain. 
I went to Lindenhof alone the first time, remember? I was so enamored with everything I saw that I told hubby he should see the place. So, before going to the airport on our last day (March 2, 2014), we went very early in the morning to see the place.
My second time! It was a verrrrry cold, drizzling morning! 
That’s me at the Hedwig Fountain

Lindenhof was the last place we visited before going to Flughafen (airport). 
We may not have stayed longer than a week in Zurich but that one week, for me,
was definitely the best!

Click to read related posts
Look, the Alps
Zurichberg
Birds of Wipkinger
Streets of Zurich1
Bruckes at River Limmat
Lucerne

Comments

  1. Lovely love letter to Zurich :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.