Skip to main content

Crocheted Newsboy Hat

While preparing for a family trip to Seoul, South Korea in November of 2017, I searched my cabinet for cold weather outfit. Below 10 degrees was the temperature, according to the world weather forecast. Everyone of us kept track of the temperature as we had to decide which type of clothes to bring. We planned our travel wardrobe for a week-long trip. Out came my sweat shirts, scarves, mittens, neck warmers, leggings  and tadah--- the newsboy hat I crocheted four years ago!

Wohoho! Seeing this hat after hiding in my closet for years evoked memories of the past--- Zurich!!!! Zurich with its brrrrrrbrrrrry cold weather. It was mid-February then, with a temperature of 5 degrees, if my memory serves me right. See the barren trees behind me? We didn't get to see the snow though. 
Oh, I so love this photo with my hat on!  For this shot, the timing was just so perfect! Those are not green dirt on the camera lens but confetti showered to me by a kid who passed by right on time. This was taken during the Fasnacht Festival we had a chance to witness during our visit in Lucerne.  A child threw a handful of confetti towards me while hubby was aiming to click his cam.
I love this photo. 
The hat looks a bit smaller for my head but I really love how it looks and 
I was so glad I have one for my own. 

Throwing confetti is a part of the festival. People attending the Fasnacht should expect these small colored paper dots randomly thrown at them especially if they are not wearing a Fasnacht badge. Confetti are thrown by Waggis from the Wagen or from costumed characters walking down the streets to people not wearing the badge or Plakette as a consequence or "punishment". I was not wearing any badge so  I was punished?!! 😢😧😨😩 Unknowingly, yes! Well, we didn't know about this practice. 

Here's another photo taken beside the wagen
Good that nobody noticed I had no badge on. Haha!
Thanks to hubby for all these shots! I love them!

Fasnacht (Carnival) is celebrated in the streets every year, towards the end of winter. It’s an outdoor party where people wear masks and costumes while Guggenmusiken (carnival bands) play their instruments and people dance away the winter. 

I loved looking at these performers in colorful costumes.

 They were getting ready for the parade.

Music filled the air as these musicians performed along the streets.


Look, I wasn't only wearing my Newsboy Hat but the neck warmer I crocheted using the remaining yarn. I may have been smiling but shivering despite the four warmers around my neck!

But before I get distracted by these dreamy reminiscences, I better go back to reality. I'm supposed to feature the Newsboy Hat I crocheted for myself specially for the Zurich trip. I found the pattern from Cre8tion Crochet by Lorene. I loved the design and was so challenged to make one. Lorene posted patterns for different sizes according to specific age range. I was not only glad but proud at having finished crocheting the hat a few days before the scheduled trip.

I liked looking at the finished product because I love the color of yarn I used. A combination of my favorite shades of green.


See how Ana Cristina's Cuddly and Broccoli both seem to enjoy wearing a newsboy hat.



I really have no idea why this type of hat is called newsboy. I still need to find out. Maybe newsboys biking around with their newspapers wear this hat. Gives a masculine look eh?

If you happen to know why, please do share its origin in the comment box below. It would be nice knowing it from you.

Ooooppppssss... before I sign off, I'm posting another photo of me wearing my hat and neck warmer taken by hubby with the Kapellbrucke (Chapel Bridge) at the background. The Kapellbrucke is a wooden footbridge crossing the River Reuss in the city of Lucerne.

Thank you for coming over. Have a great day!

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.