Zucchini, zucchini, zucchini... I was introduced to zucchini by the famous movie, Ratatouille. I have already tried several zucchini dishes in the past which I have featured in my previous posts, Sunday's Cram, The Zucchini Magic and Go Green with Zucchini Carpaccio.
Today's feature is inspired by the Zucchini Tots originally posted in Easy Recipes, Healthy Eating Ideas, which I also shared in my Garden Chef's Needle and Pen Facebook page.
See how I made these Zucchini Bread Cups for breakfast last Sunday. Instead of adding bread crumbs in the zucchini mixture, I used wheat bread slices as base.
12 slices of wheat bread
1 cup grated zucchini
2 large eggs
1/4 medium onion, diced
Salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated quickmelt cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin cup cake pan with olive oil.
- Grate zucchini. Squeeze off the excess water out of the zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, egg and onion. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Remove the crust from all sides of the wheat bread slices. Flatten each piece using a rolling pin.
- Place a slice of bread into each cup cake slot, pressing each slice firmly down.
- Fill each bread cup with a tablespoonful of the zucchini mixture.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops become golden brown.
|Before loading the bread cups into the oven|
|Straight from the oven|
|Take a cup|
|Zucchini Bread Cups for breakfast with kiwi and mango as side dish|