Skip to main content

Ensaladang Mustasa


It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)?


Very simple and easy, here's how I did it.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of mustasa leaves
Rock salt
2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
1 small onion, sliced thinly
3 tbsps vinegar
Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste

Steps:
1. Cut mustasa leaves into one-inch strips, wash and drain.
2. Squeeze mustasa leaves lightly with a little rock salt.
3. Mix together mustasa, tomato and onion slices.
4. Add vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar according to taste. Mix all ingredients together.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving with fried fish and hot rice.


See, I told you, it's that simple and easy. 

Enjoy this salad as appetizer! Perfect with grilled fish or pork.

Comments

  1. Hi Maam Eve! I made Ensaladang Mustasa for lunch following your recipe. Instead of vinegar, I used lemon juice. It was so refreshing, especially that the greens are from my little balcony garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow, thank you for trying my recipe! I'm glad to hear that using lemon instead of vinegar had that refreshing effect on your salad! I would love to try that in my next ensaladang mustasa :) And I'm so amazed to know that one can grow mustasa from a balcony garden!

      Hope to see you back to try the other recipes!

      Delete
  2. I made this and followed your recipe and its delicious. Thank you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for coming over.
      So glad to know you liked it!!! Hope you would hop to the other recipes, too! 😊

      Delete
  3. To while away my time this pandemic, I grew organic veggies in the backyard around 6 plots of pechay, mustard etc. I was looking for recipes for mustard leaves and I spotted yours. I haven't tried it yet but for sure I will. I'll save your site so I can get back to you for the rating. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.