Skip to main content

Google Doodlers of the Philippines 2014

Proud mother! A colleague of mine at work, she is. Who wouldn't be, when her 11-year old son, Miko, was one of the 40 finalists out of 51,000 doodlers who submitted their entries for the first ever Doodle 4 Google event in the Philippines? This was Google Philippines' collaborative effort with the Department of Education and the National Youth Commission.


Several weeks ago, I voted in all four age categories. Oh, I didn't find that easy at all! Voting was based on the given criteria of artistic merit (the quality and skill demonstrated in the doodle), creativity (how well the student incorporated the Google logo into his or her illustration, being readable, with unique and creative uses of the letters) and theme ("What can I do for the Philippines?" expressed in both artwork and the written description).

I am no painter, neither do I draw from sheer imagination. Oh, yes, I remember coloring my drawing assignments as a kid, but that never prospered to become a hobby or talent. I can copy or imitate drawings, if you call that any talent??? hahaha! Seriously now, I have great appreciation for people who are good at this.

There were 10 entries to choose from each age category. I narrowed down my choices to four per age group. Wohoo! Tough job! Here, let me share with you my choices. You may zoom in to take a closer look at each doodle to see the name of the doodler, title of doodle and description.

5 to 8-year old category




9 to 11-year old category


Miko's entry is the one on the left.


12 to 14-year old category




15 to 17-year old category




See, aren't they all beautifully done? These were just my choices. You can view all the entries of the 40 finalists here.

And the four winning entries are--- tada!!!!




Over-all winner
Well, well, well, you must have been enamored by the artistry of the kids! In case you haven't noticed, the winners in all categories were among my four choices! Hmmm... does that mean anything? 

Before I sign off, here are some best photos of Miko during the fun and googley Arts Workshop and Awards Day by Google Philippines which he and the other finalists attended.


Congratulations, Chris Mikhail Galang!

The winners (top row) and finalists. Miko at the center, front row.

Uh uhh, lest I forget, congratulations, Criselle! Proud googley-doodler Miko's mom, you are, indeed! Have more and more other artsy works in the future!

Have a great week ahead, everyone!

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.