Skip to main content

Maruya | Banana Pancake

It’s been months (?) or a year since I made maruya (banana fritters; kumbo in Ilonggo or Visayan dialect). This has become a frequent breakfast or merienda on our table during this pandemic. 




I learned to cook maruya from my mother using a very simple recipe consisting of mashed saba, margarine, flour, sugar and egg but through the years, I’ve learned to modify her simple recipe by doing the math in my kitchen. The price of having a mathematician for a hubby. 🤣 

I play with the ingredients each time I cook… like using unsalted butter instead of margarine, using brown instead of white sugar, adding non-fat milk, vanilla and raisins. For my previous experiment, I mixed the sliced bananas with pre-mixed pancake flour. 

For this version of maruya recipe, there were more spur-of-the-moment additions. The bottle of oatmeal seemingly gave me an irresistible grin while I was reaching for the flour in the cupboard. How could I not give in to such a healthy invitation! 

Oh, yes, how could I not notice the dried blueberries waving radiantly at me when I took the pack of raisins? 

Finally, the lemon extract took a big step forward even before I could take out the vanilla. It took me a few seconds to make up my mind…Vanilla? Lemon? Vanilla? Lemon? 🤔 Hmmm... why not take both?!!!

Interested to know how I did it? Here, let me share with you…

Cooking Directions

Ingredients:
5 pcs medium-sized saba 
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
2 tbsps softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup muscovado sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup non-fat milk
Few drops of lemon extract and vanilla
1/4 cup dried raisins and blueberries (and/or nuts, though optional)
Oil

Steps:
1. Slice saba.



2. Add flour, oatmeal and 1 tbsp butter. Mix. 



3. Add sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and lemon extract. 
4. Add raisins and blueberries. Mix. 



5. Heat oil and remaining butter in pan.
6. Place 2- 3 tbsps of batter on pan. 



6. Cook until golden brown on both sides.


7. Remove from pan. Place on paper towel. 


8. Serve hot with your favorite beverage. 


Hmmm… I so love this latest version. I was surprised at how the measurement created a perfect blend of batter resulting in soft and fluffy pieces that tasted like pancakes! My mother and hubby both love pancakes.

The recipe yielded 8 medium and large pieces. Ssssshhhh…. hubby consumed half! 🤣🤣🤣 Ayana Grace saw my Instagram post and asked if there was any left when she came over the following day. Well, there were still four pieces of raw banana left! That meant the planned banana cake had to wait for the next baking session.  

Oh, wait, for this requested batch of maruya, I used peppermint flavor instead of lemon. You guessed it right! Another instant decision I made because I love peppermint (Peppermint Patty, too 😉😜) and there were several of them in the ref!!! Ayana Grace suggested adding a few drops to my coffee. So I did, and I superduper loved it!

We have finished our afternoon coffee before I realized I forgot to add the egg. Good that nobody seemed to have noticed... and there were no left-overs! 🤣

Now back to the next episode of my K-drama! 🙂🙂🙂

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.