Skip to main content

Stamps and Letters | The Eras Postal Tour: Historic Fullerton




Day 5 greeted us with a clear, bright sky, setting the perfect backdrop for our adventure. As the kids prepared for the much-anticipated concert, I was thrilled at the thought of exploring the iconic Fullerton Hotel. 

If you've been following our journey, you know we've had an exciting Day 1 at Jewel Changi Airport. If you missed that, catch up on them here, so you won’t miss anything. 

Today, our tour was made even more delightful by the company of Jeffrey Oro, a fellow stamp collector who share a similar passion for philately as I do. Thanks to his guidance, we ventured to the SingPost General Post Office in Paya Lebar, where I indulged in selecting  postcards to send special messages. Our next stop was destined to be the Fullerton Postbox, where I eagerly dropped my  chosen postcards for some friends and for the first time ever, to myself!  




If you remember in my previous post, I mentioned about how videos we watched convinced the hubby to include Fullerton in our tour itinerary. Well, who wouldn’t be persuaded to see one of the Heritage Hotels of Singapore, the Fullerton Hotel.


Watch these

👇👇👇





Magnificent! 

Majestic! 

I believe Fullerton deserves these adjectives!


The Fullerton Building is a grand neoclassical landmark, declared in December 2015 as a National Monument.


In commemorating Singapore's centennial anniversary, Sir Laurence Guillemard, the colonial governor, commissioned the construction of the Fullerton Building in 1924 with a design by Keys & Dowdeswell. Completed in 1928, this Neoclassical masterpiece housed various tenants, including the General Post Office, the Exchange, and government offices, serving as a hub for essential services and administrative functions, hosting offices for the Governor of Singapore and the High Commissioner for the Federation of Malay States, among others. The General Post Office, presided over by the Postmaster General, occupied much of the space, covering the two lowest floors of the structure.





Entrance to the hotel lobby

where the Mile Zero is fixed. 


This is exactly where everything started and where everything leads to in Singapore. 
The mile zero mark is right here. 
👇👇👇

Wow, I stepped on Singapore’s 

Mile Zero mark! 

A milestone in my philatelic journey, this is! 


I love how hubby was able to capture The Fullerton Building while we were on a river cruise. 



View of the Fullerton Hotel with the Cavenagh Bridge. 



Text too small? Here's a larger version:
"National Monument
Gazetted on 15 October 2019
Cavenagh Bridge
Completed in 1869, Cavenagh Bridge is the oldest and only iron cable-stayed 
bridge in Singapore. It was named after Sir Orfeur Cavenagh, the last Governor 
of the Straits Settlement under the government of British India (1859-1867). 
Manufactured by P & W MacLellan in Glasgow, it was shipped to Singapore
for assembly. In 1910, Anderson Bridge was opened to ease the increasing
traffic load at Cavenagh Bridge, and the latter was later redesignated as a
pedestrian bridge.
Cavenagh Bridge is one of three Singapore River bridges collectively 
gazetted as a National Monument."

It was right here where I did an extreme philately. 

Click here to read my previous post where I introduced the extreme philately concept. 


The 60c Fullerton Hotel stamp is one of the ten stamps from the Heritage Hotels (2019series issued on March 22, 2019 celebrating Singapore's rich architectural heritage. Measuring 60 mm x 30 mm, the stamp  features ornate flourishes and typography reminiscent of the '20s and '30s, when the Fullerton Building was part of a great boom in neo-classical architecture in Singapore.




After my extreme philately experiment at the Fullerton Hotel, we proceeded to the opposite riverbank via the Cavenagh Bridge to capture the grandeur of the surrounding architecture. It truly was a day of exploration and discovery! A huge thanks to you, Jeffrey, for your invaluable time and unwavering patience. Your presence has left an indelible mark on my philatelic journey and will forever be cherished in my memories.

'Til next extreme philately episode.

- - - - -

Comments

  1. Its like reading a travel-philatelic-natgeo magazine- rolled into. Thanks for sharing, and for the special mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff for taking the time to be our travel buddy! 🙂 Praying there will be a ‘next time’ to cover the other places-on- Singapore stamps! 🙏

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.