Skip to main content

Confessions of a 90-year-old Mother's Daughter




Everytime I read and receive greetings about mothers and Mother's Day, I couldn't help but feel awkward and embarrassed. Firstly because I am far from being the godly woman described in Proverbs 31: 10-31. Secondly, because I have been guilty of defying God's command in Ephesians 6:1. 

Last Sunday, as it has always been every Mother's Day in the past years, our church honored all mothers present during the service. I felt my heart crushing as I joined the other ladies who were called to occupy the first few rows of pews. Yes, I managed to smile and greet back all who greeted me, though deep within my heart was crumbling in humiliation. 

Surprisingly, our Pastor didn't preach about the Proverbs 31 woman. Instead, he expounded on the first nine verses of Proverbs 31. These verses talk about King Lemuel's lessons of chastity and temperance, lessons he learned from his own mother.

I confess I haven't been a good daughter during my childhood and teenage years. I am no exception to delayed obedience and other antics or offenses children commit against their mothers (parents). I would make studying or doing my homework a good excuse for not doing household chores. I would miss meals if not allowed to attend parties during and after graduating from high school. Today, human that I am, I lose my patience with my 90-year old mother's forgetfulness, especially when she asks the same questions over and over again, everytime she misses her medicines. It irates me when she confuses night with day, when she would repeatedly ask where we've been or where we are going and when she gets up from bed several times at night to take a look if everybody has arrived home.

How I hate myself for losing my patience and reacting negatively to all these changes my mother is normally going through. Praises to God for His own patience, forgiveness and saving work of grace in my life through the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, without which all my sins would unceasingly haunt me to death. 

Here is a photo of my mother in her early years.


Well, my mother was literally my first teacher. Not only did she teach me my ABC in first grade, she also taught me how to read musical notes, do mathematical operations using decimals, run a sewing machine and dress a chicken even before my other teachers in grade school did. Best of all, she inspired me to fall in love with a classic and special craft that has caused me to constantly chase the rainbow. Click this link to read why. Oh, but don't forget to get back here to claim your Mother's Day treat! 


Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.