Skip to main content

Glimpses of Phuket: City tour





Did you watch the video? Would you like to come along for more? 

January of 2018 I had an opportunity to travel for the second time to Thailand.  This time, I tagged along with hubby who went on a business trip to present a research paper in Phuket. The venue was in Patong. 


Our flight required a few hours of lay-over in Kuala Lumpur International Airport. On our way to the departure area, I saw these Malay signage reminding me of the post I made about our family trip to Kuala Lumpur four years ago. That explains these photos. Added vocabularies these are for me. 





Upon arrival at the Phuket International Airport, we bought tickets for a mini-bus ride that brought us straight to Patong.



While on the bus, I felt like I was in my own country. That was a very provincial-like trip. And the traffic looked familiar, too!

We got off a block away from our hotel.




After checking in, we explored the area to find a place for our first Thai meal for dinner. Well, there were a lot of places to choose from. And we both agreed on a roadside eatery that served fish for hubby and soup for me. I went on this trip not in my best of health. My allergic cough was bothering me. I had to bring along my antihistamines and had to control my diet. I was afraid my stomach would turn inside out if I ate too much. I just wanted to get sips of hot soup.


Well, what do you think of this--- hot soup with fish and veggies which we both shared together.


Day 1.
Hubby had to visit the conference venue to register and claim his conference kit. So first in our itinerary was to find our way to his conference venue. 

On our way, I liked looking at the trees and resort far ahead that I had to turn for a pose while walking along Thanon Ratuthit Songroipi Road in Patong. Had photo ops along the way.




Just a few blocks away, we found the place. Thanks to google maps. Locating the venue was as easy as 1-2-3. The Sea Sun Sand Resort & Spa. This is it! A simple-looking 4-star hotel.



On our way to the Math Conference Room, we passed by this floral pathway. Of course, we had to take photos. How could anyone resist such a view!


An alley of greens and orchids! So cool! I really belonged there, don't you dare disagree!











Even my hubby loved the view that he would call me for all these photo ops. So how could I resist? And he also waited to take this one shot of me sitting on the wooden stairs after an American tourist who looked like a fashion model had her photos taken. For arts sake?



Mission done, so we again walked back to the hotel to get ready for a half-day tour. Along the road,  we chanced upon this place where we decided to stop for lunch.


What a sumptuous meal we had with this simple fish menu—- Tom yam fish with papaya salad. Our tummies were satisfied and we were ready for the half-day city tour we booked for ourselves.

The city tour itinerary covered the following for 1,150 THB! Sounds interesting?!
Taking photos with baby elephant
The Viewpoint
Big Buddha
Chalong Temple
Cashew Nut Factory
Honey Farm
Coffee Break
Weekend Market

The tour bus arrived exactly on time to pick us up. We were the first pair of tourists to board. It was an advantage


as it allowed us more time to get a view of the city while the bus driver picked up other tourists who joined the trip.

Taking photos with baby elephant
Our first stop was with Bella, the 3-year old Baby elephant. She liked cucumber. Tourists had to buy a basket of cucumber to feed Bella. Hubby had difficulty finding a good angle with me and Bella together before he succeeded with this as Bella seemed very elusive. Maybe because we didn’t buy a basket of cucumber?! 😜


The Big Buddha
Our next destination was the Big Buddha. It was part of the tour package so we just grabbed the opportunity so as not to miss this popular tourist attraction. 

The giant Buddha (below left) is called Phra Puttamingmongkol Akenakkiri Buddha. It stands 45 meters high and measures 25 meters across the base.



The smaller of the two Big Buddhas (above right) stands 12 meters high and is made of 22 tons of brass and costs TBT 8,000.

I had to stop to catch my breath halfway to the top. I had to tell hubby to wait for me. He walks so fast! The ascent to the top where the statue stood was worth it because of this beautiful panoramic view of Phuket.









The Big Buddha up in the air


The Viewpoint

From the Big Buddha, we stopped at The Viewpoint where we stayed for a few minutes to take some breath of fresh air, at the same time, enjoyed another picturesque view of Phuket. We were standing on high grounds overlooking Kata Beach.



Where we stood, the appearance of this old car didn't escape the lens of hubby's cam.

Photographing the photographer

Chalong Temple (Wat Chalong)

Chalong Temple, Phuket's largest and most revered temple, is also one of the most visited temples in Phuket.


Not very far from the temple is a brick oven-like structure. This is where Thais light firecrackers as a way of giving merit to Buddha. At the temple, one will hear series of small bangs in quick succession with a final loud bang. Thais show gratitude when their wishes had been granted by lighting firecrackers inside the brick oven. This creates loud explosions but nothing to be afraid of.

 The brick oven-like structures used for lighting firecrackers

The photo below is part of Chalong Temple (Wat Chaiyathararam) complex. This 60-meter tall Phra Mahathat Chedi of Chalong Temple is said to hold an actual bone splinter of Buddha. The tower consists of three levels which house statues of Buddha and marks along all the walks, depicting the life and teachings of Buddha. At the pinnacle of Chedi is an enclosure where the bone splinter is housed. I wonder if hubby found it. This is said to be a very sacred part of the temple and should be given great respect regardless of tourists' religious affiliation. 

Phra Mahathat Chedi
While hubby was satisfying his curiosity admiring the structures inside, I made several attempts at taking a good shot of the facade of the Chedi. Although it took me some time strategizing, I was not successful at taking a perfect clean shot as tourists kept on appearing.

Tourists quenching their thirst with bites of fruits and glasses of iced-cold juice in this corner. I was amused looking at the fruit vendor serving his customers. I almost forgot I was in another country.





From the Chalong Temple, our next stop was at the Sri Bhurapa Orchid Co., Ltd. This is where cashew nuts are prepared for packaging. A very tedious process.

If you are wondering why cashew nuts are costly, this is the reason why. See how company workers prepare the nuts for packaging.


I bought a pack of paprika-flavored cashew nuts.


The Big Bee farm  

Does this look familiar? No, this is not Jolibee. This is the Big Bee Farm where honey products are manufactured.


See what hubby captured from the walls of the Big Bee Farm!



The tour package included a coffee break after a tour at Wang Talang Gems Internationala jewelry shop where exquisite gemstone pieces were on display. I wasn't able to resist the fresh water pearl necklace pendant!

Our last stop was at the biggest market of Phuket.


Wow, just look at this feast of street food!










Hubby and I were the last tourists to be dropped off in our hotel after the tour. That meant we had more time roaming around the city again while the bus dropped off the other tourists in their own places.

Well, the day didn't end there. We decided to find a place for dinner so we walked around the area again until our feet brought us to the nearest beach, just a few blocks away from our hotel.

This is Patong Beach at night.

Night lights at Patong Beach

We strolled along the beach and listened to the waves splashing on the sand. We were excited to go back to see the beach in daylight. Sad to say, we were not able to find a place to dine along the beach. We found a street food vendor on our way back to the hotel so we had to content ourselves with these banana fritters and decided to call it a long day!

Thai version of banana Turon 
Let's go rest for the night and be up early tomorrow to explore Patong Beach while hubby attends the conference. Then, I will feature the tour to Phang Nga Bay where the famous tourist attraction, James Bond Island, is located. 

Click here and see you there!

            

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.