Skip to main content

In silence, I grieve with you: A Tribute to Mommy Letty Bustos-Castillo

Today is the third day she left and I have yet to verbally condole with the whole family. But I am at a loss for words. I didn't realize she's gone until I read posts of her family from Facebook late Tuesday morning. I’m torn between grieving for the loss and rejoicing at the thought that she is now in the best place, enjoying eternity.


As I sat on the bus meditating on God's goodness and faithfulness on my way to work, memories came flashing by---

As a student, having been a college classmate and close friend of Mommy Letty's youngest daughter, Maria Leticia (Honey) made me a frequent visitor in the Castillo house in Fairview and eventually an adopted daughter with a new nickname, Ibyang (Eve-yang). I used to join them for lunch every after Sunday Service in church. I loved to listen to her late husband sing "To God be the Glory" with her son's fiancee then, Ellen, on the piano. 

Oh, I remember how awkward it was for me the first time, facing four boys (Kuya Nitoy, Johnny, Bobby and Raymond) at the dining table! Being an only child, I confess, I wasn't used to that. 

Mommy Letty and Honey invited me to their home to spend Christmas holidays with their family. I would find myself playing scrabble with the Castillo boys and their only sister at home (with Ate Babes having her own family and Ate Cheri at the Medical school). They allowed me to join their grand family (Bustos and Regalado) reunions, too!

Mommy Letty oftentimes stayed in their room praying or studying her Bible or reading books. She had in her bookshelves a lot of Christian books, some of which I was able to borrow. 

Praise God for the godly children she raised. Praise Him for making her life worthy of emulation. Praise Him for making her an instrument of blessing in many people’s lives, including mine. God, indeed, moves in mysterious ways. He performs wonders- - - how He worked His sovereign will, allowing our (Honey’s and mine) paths to cross that eventually led to my new birth, my new life in Christ.
For this post, I would like to feature some excerpts from the books I’ve read from her collection. These I managed to keep in my Treasure Notebook until now.

From Hinds' Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard:





(a lesson on humility)

Come, oh, come! Let us away---
Lower, lower every day
Oh, what joy it is to race
down to find the sweetest place. 
This the dearest law we know---
"It is happy to go low."
Sweet urge and sweetest will,
"Let us go down lower still.
            

All the fairest beauties in the human soul,
its greatest victories, and its most splendid 
achievements are always those which no one 
else knows anything about, or can only
dimly guess at. Every inner response of 
the human heart to love and every conquest 
over self-love is a new flower on the tree of love. 
(a lesson on love and giving)

            
Many a quiet, ordinary, and hidden life,
unknown to the world,is a veritable
garden in which love's flowers and fruits have 
come to such perfection that it is 
a place of delight where the King of 
love Himself walks and rejoices
with His friends.


To love means to put yourself into the power 
of the loved one and to 
become very vulnerable to pain...
If you really love someone you give that loved one
the power to hurt and pain you 
in a way nothing else can...
It is so happy to love.... even if you are
not loved in return. There is pain 
but love does not think that very significant.
(lesson on self-sacrifice)
             ************
As a child of God there are not second causes,
that even the most unjust and cruel things, 
as well as all seemingly pointless and undeserved sufferings, have been permitted by God
as a glorious opportunity for us to react to them in such a way that our Lord
and Saviour is able to produce in us, little by little, His own lovely character. 
             ************

by Mrs. Charles Cowman
(I first saw Honey reading this book. 
I was so glad that she lent it to me for a few days 
during our college days. 
This has become my favorite devotional and 
today I have access to this from my mobile app.)

We cannot tell what loss and sorrow and trial are doing. Trust only. 
The Father comes near to take our hand and lead us on our way today. 
            
God is not yet through making us. He has a design in all His work upon us. 
Things don't just happen to us; they are planned by the masterful hand of God
who knows the end from the beginning and all the ups and downs along the way.
There is nothing accidental in any of the Providences of God that come into our life,
and there is surely a purpose for our greatest good that runs through all the events 
and circumstances. 
          
Waiting! Yes, patiently waiting!
Till next steps made plain shall be;
To hear, with inner hearing,
The voice that will call for me.
Waiting! Yes, waiting! Still waiting!
I know, though I've waited long,
That, while He withholds His purpose, 
His waiting cannot be wrong.

(This poem has become an inspiration to me whenever I pray for something, 
While waiting for God’s answer to my prayer.)
    ************

by Joni Aereckson


Welcome trials as friends.
God never closes a door 
without opening a window---
He always gives us something better when 
He takes something away.
           *************

When all kinds of trials and temptations 
crowd into our lives, don't resent them as 
intruders but welcome them as friends.
Realize that they come to test your faith 
and to produce in you the quality of endurance. 
           *************

From a book (title I forgot to copy) 
written by Hudson Taylor 

"The sweetest part, if one may speak of one part being sweeter than another, is the rest which full identification with Christ brings. 

I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize this; for He, I know, is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine.

It makes no matter where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest position He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult His grace is sufficient."  
            *************
I offer this tribute ... a silent expression of my condolences to the family of Mommy Letty.

In my silence, I do grieve with you all.
May her legacy live on!
‘Til we meet her again! 
                                                                   

Comments

Most popular posts

Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta: A Remake

There's a saying that goes, "One is enough, two is too much..." Uh uhhh, not for this!!! I'm referring to the Spanish Sardines Pasta which was my welcome post this year. My daughter, Ayana Grace, bought a bottle of pesto from the grocery store last month (she usually does...we seldom run out of pesto sauce in our cupboard) and I just wasn't able to resist making another try of the Pesto Spanish Sardines Pasta so here it is... Ingredients: 2 tbsps reserved oil from bottled sardines 2 tbsps olive oil 1 tbsp minced garlic 1/4 cup diced tomato 1 cup flaked Spanish sardines 1/3 cup Pesto sauce 1/4 cup pitted black olives 1/4 cup button mushrooms 1/2 kilo pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions salt and pepper to taste Whole pieces of Spanish sardines (1 piece as topping per serving) Parsley for garnish   Steps: In a large saute pan, heat oil from sardines. Add olive oil as needed. Saute garlic until fragrant. Add diced

Ensaladang Mustasa

It's back to work today, after five days of rest, something I've been looking forward to. As if the  long Christmas holiday vacation was not enough :) Well, days just seem to fly so fast! Thanks to the additional non-working holidays brought about by the Pope's visit to my country, the Philippines. I had time to relax, stay at home, bond with family and yes, sort picture files in my computer. In between social networking, of course, I cooked for my family. With my husband home, there has to be fish and vegetables on the dining table. There was a bunch of mustasa (mustard) leaves left in the vegetable bin. What could be a better and perfect partner to fried fish than Ensaladang Mustasa (Mustard Salad)? Very simple and easy, here's how I did it. Ingredients: 1 bunch of mustasa leaves Rock salt 2 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced 1 small onion, sliced thinly 3 tbsps vinegar Iodized salt, ground pepper and sugar to taste Steps: 1. Cut mus

Ensaladang Alugbati (Malabar Spinach Salad)

This post appeared in my Facebook memories today. I'm glad it did! I featured this salad in my FB page a year ago.  Alugbati  (Malabar Spinach)  Salad (Ensaladang Alugbati). This came up when I received for the first time this bouquet of alugbati from Erik, my officemate. He shares with us fruits and veggies fresh from his garden.