Monday, January 28, 2013

Eggplant Lasagna

Hello everyone! It's been more than a week since my last post and I've been dying to share my latest works (both in the kitchen and crochet)! Well, since I can't feature both here, let me deviate from Olive and Yummy Foodie Mags for a while and share one of my re-make dishes from my favorite kitchen buddy, Del Monte Kitchenomics, which I also featured in two posts last year (Stories from the Cupboard 1: My Kitchenmates  and Stories from the Cupboard 2: Vegetable Pastel). 

Cheesy Eggplant Layers by Del Monte Kitchenomics is a lasagna-inspired dish.
Here are the ingredients:

4 medium eggplants
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs (which I combined with Crushed Graham)
1 pouch (250 g) Del Monte Sweet Style Spaghetti Sauce (but for my own version, I just used Del Monte Tomato Sauce)
1 cup grated cheese (I made a combination of Queso, Magnolia Quickmelt and Mozarella)
1 medium green bell pepper, diced

The original recipe calls for the eggplants to be cut lengthwise into 4 slices, mixed with egg and coated with bread crumbs and fried. However, I skipped the frying part so this is what I did.

Steps:
  1. Grill eggplants. Remove skin and flatten using a fork. Mix with egg and coat with bread crumbs combined with Crushed Graham. Set aside. 
       2. Add 1 tbsp sugar, 1/8 tsp. pepper and 2/3 tsp iodized salt to Del Monte Sauce.
        3. Arrange half of flattened grilled eggplant on a baking dish. Pour half of sauce over eggplant and      top with half of bell peppers and cheese.
        4. Repeat layering procedure using remaining ingredients. 
        5. Bake at 350 degrees F (180C) for 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. 
Hmmm... I just love its cheesy taste! My husband said I serve such amazing dishes! :) :) :) What could be a better compliment?

10 comments:

  1. Mm..looks yumm! Never tried to make lasagna. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Tell me what happens after making one!

      Delete
  2. I have an eggplant on the counter and was needing a recipe! This looks fantatic. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll never regret giving this recipe a try. Been to your sites and I'm now your latest follower at Joyfully Cooking. Nice meeting you here! See you around!

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy! :)
    I have nominated your blog for a very cute award. Visit
    http://weaverbirdie.blogspot.in/2013/02/elephant-hat-pattern-and-cute-award.html
    to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much!That's great to hear! Will visit your site, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Today I'm stopping by some of the blogs I love to read and just doing a little catch up! This really looks delish! I love lasagna and eggplant but I never seem to combine the two. Happy Thursday ♥
    Dawn
    @ vesselsmemories2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by. Oh yes, the two make a good combination!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Kara, I hope it's not too late to reply to your comment. Have you tried the dish?

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Would love to see you back.